Visitors

November 23, 2013

Let It Go- Day 1

Not my room...but the statement is still true
Baby steps. And I do mean b-a-b-y steps. At first, 25% seemed like so much. Actually, after I wrote "one-fourth", I was so tempted to go back and edit the entry and make it smaller. But no. What's done is done, and having run through a quick inventory, I think that maybe 25% isn't enough!

Let's get started, shall we?
In my tiny studio apartment (not including my *full* laundry basket and stuff hanging out to dry), I have:


13 Pairs of jeans/pants/shorts
10 T-shirts
11 Coats/jackets
8 Dresses/skirts
12 Shirts used ONLY for working out/sleeping
5 Sweaters
3 Purses
15 Pairs of shoes
11  Necklaces

This was, of course, not an exhaustive inventory. There was NO WAY I was about to empty my closet to get an accurate count, especially considering the fact that I just finished cleaning my room! And it's just the wearable stuff. That doesn't include books, games, dishes, electronics and other stuff.

EIGHT dresses and skirts? ELEVEN coats?! ELEVEN necklaces?! FIFTEEN pairs of shoes?!

Allow me to break down "the ridiculous" even more:
Coats/jackets: 4 dress coats, 2 summer cover-up hoodies, 2 winter coats, and 3 slummy jackets that are borderline People of Walmart

Shoes: 5 pairs of  4"+ heels (because when I wear heels, I wear heels), 4 pairs of tennis shoes, one pair of winter boots, 3 pairs of summer shoes and one pair of "I don't care, but shoes are required".

Necklaces: 3 pearls, 2 heart pendants, 2 tribals, 3 chains and one hemp.

Just going over all of that made me angry. I mean, if you were to see me on a daily basis, you'd think I have less than half of that. My wardrobe that sees the light of day consists of 2 pairs of pants, the same pair of "I don't care, but required" shoes and a giant hoodie because dressing up and pretending to care can go play in traffic.

With that in mind, the sheer amount seems like gross excess to me. Even more so when I remember that I have an almost full room back Stateside.  I'm not at all eager to get rid of stuff...IT'S MY STUFF! But, I don't need it. I don't use it. It's taking up space. Now that the easy part is over, I'll start the hard stuff tomorrow....


No comments:

Post a Comment