Visitors

November 24, 2013

Let It Go- Day 2


Now that the pain that is "inventory" has been completed, onto the actual "letting go".

I was very driven when I flung my closet doors open, ready to do some "life lightening" this morning. Yeah...easier said than done. After touching almost EVERYTHING in my closet/drawers at least once, I realized that I may have some "ownership" issues.

Now, why on Earth would I think that? It's quite simple, actually. Despite the fact that I know my reasons for holding onto things are stupid, I still own them. What kind of stupid? THIS kind of stupid...*Stop me if you've heard any of these before*

- He bought them for me and I've never traveled there (gift from an ex-boyfriend)
- The store is gone! I can't buy any more! (t-shirts from my favorite *now non-existent* store)
- What if we become friends again? (cards/things from people I never want to see again)
- They were on sale! (The Raptor shoes...death-sentence footwear I bought in Taiwan)
- It was expensive! ($90 jacket I purchased and wore ONCE)
- It's pretty! (Dress I got on sale that I'll likely never have an occasion to wear in public)


And so it began. I grabbed a bookmark and some jewelry first and tossed them into a bag. Not only do I not like those items, but I straight up despise the people who gave them to me. Why do I still have stuff from the only ex-boyfriend to make me cry like a pansy? No, really...WHY?! Why am I so desperately holding onto bookmarks and trinkets when: 1) I don't read books 2) trinkets are useless and 3) I don't like the person who gave them to me?

In a way, I guess it really is "life lightening". Remember the 90s music videos when people would break up and the girl (or guy) would toss/burn everything from the now-ex? That's how I feel about my life at the moment. Heck, I don't even have to hate the giver, but if I don't actively LIKE them, why do I want something they've given me hanging around? Time to put on angry music and get rid of stuff!

There are two exceptions, though only the week will tell if those remain by the end.
1) Winter boots from my high school ex-boyfriend (because those are some n-i-c-e boots and I don't have other winter shoes)
2) A handmade hemp necklace from the same ex-boyfriend (It looks nice)

More to come, along with pictures of "progress"

No comments:

Post a Comment