Visitors

October 27, 2013

Week 10- Reading Rainbow



You KNOW you loved that show, and that you will NEVER forget to "take a look, it's in a book, Reading Rainbow!!!!"

I didn't forget, and I didn't leave this until the last minute. This was actually quite well planned out. You see, for the past 4+ months, I've been cramming words and grammar and cultural concepts into my poor little brain in preparation for a Korean test. The Test of Proficiency in Korean, to be exact. I have some things that I *think* I want to do, and had to study constantly. I've never studied like that in my life, nor do I ever plan on doing so again.

What do you mean? You should always be learning and studying! Yes, that is true. I am pretty sure, however, that whoever came up with that didn't intend for people to study the way I did. Clinically diagnosed Sleep Deprivation. I was going to the gym at 3am (because a day without a workout is blasphemy, physical exhaustion be damned) and still getting up at 7 to study. It was ugly. Seriously, I fell asleep mid-sentence a few times while teaching...it was that bad. With that in mind, my week 10 is more than acceptable, as far as I'm concerned. ;

Here's the Deal
I'm going to read a book from cover to cover in a week.



Say What?!
I'm going to read a book. But, not just any book. This one has NO pictures, no illustrations and isn't a textbook. I'm weird and like reading textbooks for fun (I'm currently working through Carol Rizzolo's Illuminating the Twilight. It's quite an insight into the psychology of death and dying). Something about a well-written psychology textbook is really interesting.


Also, this is an actual paper book. I love my Kindle and I enjoy the convenience, but there's just something about physically holding a book that makes it much more satisfying. Besides, I'm not known for being graceful. With a paper book, I can toss it across the room, drop it and never have to worry about running out of battery power.

Why?
Why books? Because, silly..."books are your friends".
My current reading list is the strategy guide for Binary Domain, daily positive thought so cheesy they make me want to puke, drink it and puke again,  and about 130-some odd Japanese webcomics that update on sadly irregular intervals. Knowledge is power. Based on what I read, I only know how NOT to behave in Japan, after school specials  and what to do if a Scraphead is coming at me if I'm down to one health bar and outta ammo. So yeah, based on my reading list, I'm a rather simple person.

This particular book is different, though. Almost all of my books (my Bible, as well) have pictures. This book has no pictures. I'll try to get through it, but make no promises at all. The last time I remember really being into a series, I finished it and then realized that it was written for teenagers (target audience/maturity level FAIL).

I need a POSITIVE distraction, as well. For the past week, I've been blowing up robots and watching SpongeBob, hoping it would keep certain things at bay, but alas, my efforts met with failure. In order to escape some things, a more....proactive approach is required. And yes, I did just admit that I'm running like hell in the opposite direction of  more than a few things.

My standard type of picture-less book: a psychological analysis of evil...







My book for the week: 200+ pages of positive stuff



No comments:

Post a Comment