Visitors

February 13, 2013

Lent

So it's that time of year again. Lent. Last year I gave up meat and was miserable and sickly. This year, I'm not giving anything up or adding anything. I'm doing nothing for Lent. I will go about my daily life as is.

Lent is a time of reflection and whatnot. It's representative of the 40 days and nights that Jesus spent in the desert being tempted. With that said, don't expect me to be impressed when you say "I'm giving up sex!" or "I'm giving up manicures." It's not that I'm looking down on you for it, it's just that I honestly don't care. What good will it do you to give something up knowing full well that you intend, at the earliest possible time, to resume the same behavior you gave up, with just as much (if not more) fervor than before? It's like being a fat kid on a diet and saying that once you finish your diet, you're gonna head for the buffet and eat until you can't lift your fork anymore.

Enough about that. (Though I could definitely carry on all day and then some).  February is coming to a close rather quickly, and I still haven't decided what to do. It's too cold for the dress thing (not that I'm looking forward to it anyway). I'm stuck between my phone, my laptop and my TV.

I have an unhealthy relationship with those three things and I know it. I fall asleep with the TV on (though I usually set a sleep timer so its not on all night). I check my phone every five seconds. I could spend all day in bed with my laptop playing games and wasting time.

The idea behind the week of change was to do something different, something I wouldn't typically do, something uncomfortable. I use my TV to workout (playing  a video game makes an hour on a bike go much faster), and I live in a country where the bank and post office text you. Next week, I'm giving up my laptop.

I've gone without my laptop before. Though it definitely wasn't by choice. This time is different because I'll have it with me. I'll just have to resist the urge to turn it on. I may go full kamikaze and give up my phone as well, or at least limit the amount of time I spend with it. Otherwise, I've got a smartphone, Kindle Fire, iPod and Playstation 3 to fill the void...

February 16-23> No Laptop, minimal phone usage.

No comments:

Post a Comment