Visitors

February 15, 2013

Week 2- No laptop, minimal phone

So, midnight tonight starts it. Honestly, I'm not looking forward to it. But then again, I'm quite the sucker for punishment.

Here's the Deal: No laptop (or rogue computer usage at work) and minimal smartphone usage from midnight to midnight.

Say What?!
My laptop will remain off and away for the week. At work I'll not be checking facebook, hi5, gmarket, nate, msn or anything else that isn't DIRECTLY related to work. EXACTLY does minimal mean? Not picking the phone up "just to check". There are TWO reasons I'll use the phone. 1) someone messages me and I reply 2) Someone calls me. You know, the stuff a phone is SUPPOSED to be used for.

Why
I spend a lot of time doing nothing. and I do mean NOTHING. I hit the "refresh" button every five seconds, I reach for my phone. I suffer (and it really is suffering from) from phantom cell phone vibrations and notices. I was fine in high school when I didn't have a phone, and excited when I got one of my own. I'd forget it in my locker and not give a damn. I once dropped my phone in the snow and didn't find it until the snow melted 3 days later. I didn't spaz. I didn't spend the night wondering what calls and messages I had missed. It's now 10 years later (oh wow... I was in high school TEN YEARS AGO).  My phone (and laptop) have become extensions of myself. I get nervous if I don't know the exact location of my phone. The first thing I do when I wake up is check my phone and laptop. For a while, my phone was even interrupting my workouts (BIG issue there...unfocused workouts ruin my day. Stupid messages and checking Facebook cause unfocused workouts). That stopped rather quickly, though. I leave my phone at home when I go to the gym. But then I race back to check it. As for the laptop, I just waste a lot of time and hit the refresh button. Let's see how much more relaxed (or obsessed) I am when the week is over...

How It's Going
I'll let you know at the end of the week. Believe me, come midnight, I'll be jumping on my laptop!

No comments:

Post a Comment