Visitors

July 12, 2013

Week 7...No Hablo Inglés

Yes, you read correctly. "I don't speak English"

Here's the Deal
I'm starting on Saturday morning. From then until Saturday of next week, I'll be doing everything I can to avoid speaking English. It's a full on immersion project. The plan is that I won't use English outside of work or communication with non-non-English speakers (I know that's grammatically incorrect, but I do so love to use hyphens whenever I can).

Say What?!
Yes, yes, yes. You'd think it wouldn't be so hard, since I live in a country where English is not the most commonly spoken language (South Korea), but it actually is. There are people that live here quite decently without knowing a word of the stuff, so I'd like to see just how far I can get ONLY using Korean (I'll be writing in Japanese and Spanish as well, because I'm far from where I definitely lack the depth of language required for adequate blogging in Korean...).

Why?
Because, really? I have a test coming next Sunday and can use all the Korean/non-English I can get before then. But actually, I want to test myself and just see if I can do it. It'll be much more of a challenge because it's not just the things that I'll be saying, it'll also be my blog entries (along with a likely required translation), the music I listen to, and the TV I watch. I've fallen into the habit of only whipping out Korean when I come across someone who can't speak English or doesn't want to. For myself, with the things that I'm about to attempt in mind, that's not nearly enough. I can lecture a class of kids, argue with a drunk, and get through a doctor's visit, but can I carry on an actual academic conversation? Or watch TV and enjoy it without playing Mystery Science Theater? Therein lies the challenge. I can get through Crayon Chin Chan and SpongeBob, but only because I'd already seen the episodes in English.


I'll let you on in a not so little secret: I like learning different languages. Here's another one: I like to be able to use them, just knowing them from a book is a waste. If all goes as planned, I will NEED to be able to use my Korean.

Notice the LACK of English...
With that said, my posts this week will be short grammatical nightmares. So, I'm sorry in advance, and I hope you get a kick of my attempts.

1 comment:

  1. Have at it! Once you realize who and whose you are you will be successful. I'm rooting for you!

    ReplyDelete