Visitors

May 16, 2013

Week 5- Beggar

So I'm gonna be a beggar for a week. It was close between that and not using English, and being a beggar won out.

Here's the Deal
As of Monday morning, I'll only eat what I get from others. I'd start Sunday, but I'm going to Taiwan for the weekend (yeah, my life is awesome like that) and don't wanna restrict myself from the street food and other Taiwanese fare....


Say What?!
Nothing in my house will be eaten. I'll be asking friends and people I know for food and snacks, and definitely taking my kids up on their offers of random pocket snacks. Before the week starts, I'll be asking around for food and whatnot. I'll still be allowed drinks (only water, that way I don't die...) but other than that, anything I consume has to come from someone else.

Why?
Because I'm a sucker for punishment, cheapskate and a total fat kid. No, really? This is an exercise in depending on others. I don't like to do it, and actually go out of my way to avoid it if possible. I don't LIKE asking for help. Wait, no. That's a gross understatement. I LOATHE asking for help. I know that as a Christian I'm supposed to rely on my 'brothers and sisters in Christ' to help because "if one falls and others are there, they can help him, but woe to him who falls and has no one to help him up!", but it's just not my strong point. I've gone through some really difficult isht completely alone simply because I'm stubborn and refuse to get help and rebuff most offers to help as self-serving, insincere, unnecessary or an implication of weakness on my part (we'll not get into that...).
So for this week, I'm going to HAVE to ask for help, or this is going to be infinitely more painful than my vegan week. Therein lies part one of the challenge, asking. Part two: WHO to ask...

I'm sure that if people knew what I was doing, they'd help me out. But then there are those that I don't want to ask because I'd feel indebted to them somehow. Being the incredibly logical and humble  creature that I am, there are certain people who, while I know they'd help, I'd never ask simply because the idea of needing something from them pisses me off. Me? NEED something from them? NEVER. (Yes, I'm well aware that it's a "cut off your nose to spite your face" type deal, but hey, I told you that I was such  a logical person...)  Still, there are even more people I don't want to ask because they'd say yes seemingly happily, but honestly don't want to help. I hate those kind of people the most. If you don't want to do something, say so. Don't do it and then whine about how you "had to do it" and it was "such a hassle" and caused "so much stress" later.

I'm still a few days out from the start and I'm already seeing that there's going to be a lot more to this than just saving money and not eating on impulse.

I'll see you guys after Taipei this weekend!

1 comment:

  1. May you learn the value of interdepence and eat well based on your asking abilities.

    ReplyDelete